Review: Knight of Pleasure by Margaret Mallory

by 9/08/2012 0 comments
Happy Saturday everyone!

I survived the first week back to school. It's truly like I never left. Only the kids are taller. I've been historical romance binge reading it seems, but after this I'm returning to paranormal romance. Acutally, it's paranormal and historical romance. It's a dream come true!!! But for now, hope you enjoy my current read and review.

Summary
Paperback, 363 pages
Published December 1st 2009
by Forever (first published November 10th 2009)

ISBN
0446553387 (ISBN13: 9780446553384)
 THE GREATEST PASSION
Lady Isobel Hume is an expert swordswoman who knows how to choose her battles. When the king asks her to wed a French nobleman to form a political alliance, she agrees. But that's before the devilishly charming Sir Stephen Carleton captures her heart-and tempts her to betray her betrothed, her king, and her country.

IS WORTH THE GREATEST PERIL
Sir Stephen Carleton enjoys his many female admirers-until he dedicates himself to winning the lovely Isobel. So when a threat against the king leads Isobel into mortal danger, Stephen has a chance to prove that he is more than a knight of pleasure...and that love can conquer all.

Summary from www.goodreads.com



Review

I really love historical romances. I perfer them over contemporary romances in fact, and probably love them as much as paranormal romance.

But so far, the series All the King's Men hasn't devastated me. In the first book, I really understood and felt for the hero, William FitzAlan. I was annoyed with the heroine, Catherine, but I could at least understand where she was coming from. In this second book, Knight of Pleasure, I just felt sorry for our hero, Stephan and totally unconnected to our heroine, Isobel. I hate to be hard on this book, but there it is.

Stephan is a good man. Funny, charming, honourable. I could seriously dig Stephan. He truly loved Isobel and treated her with respect and love throughout the novel. ANd I felt bad for him because he was clearly suffering at Isobel's hands. He knew she love him, but she continued to reject him. Nothing he did or said was enough to reassure her of his promise of love and commitment and that seriously upset me because I hated to see Stephan suffer like that.

Isobel had suffereed at the hands of men. Her father and husband both treated her like a bartering item. I was angry that she was treated that way. I could understand her fear that she'd be abandoned by Stephan, a man she loved, because everyone else she'd ever loved had abandoned her. And of course, Stephan's reputation of being a ladies man didn't help his cause. But I thought her inability to trust the man she loved, the man who had been there for her every single time she needed him, was over the top. She was downright obsintate about it all, and that was frustrating to read. I felt bad for her, but it came across as being a tad overdramatic. And that's why I hurt for Stephan so much.

Margaret Mallory's writing was controlled, the plot the was exciting, the characters consistent nad the story works. I was never bored, that's for sure. But I wanted more from this book. I wanted more from Isobel. But since this is pretty darn good story telling and great historical fiction coupled with great bedroom scenes, I'm inclined to continue to read the series.

3 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: