Review: Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

by 11/08/2012 4 comments

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to share an awesome paranormal read with everyone! If you've read this, you know how great it is. If you haven't and like paranormal, you should probably consider reading it. I certainly did not regret it. This book had me on the edge of my seat--laughing out funny, hot and excting.

Summary from Goodreads

Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published October 30th 2007
by Avon (first published September 1st 2007)

ISBN
0061245089 (ISBN13: 9780061245084)
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father--the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner--are there actually "good" vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.


What can I say about Halfway to the Grave? I LOVED it! Just loved it. This might be my new favourite vampire series. I have so many favourite quotes and scenes that I couldn't possibly share them all with you, though I wish I could. You can find the ones I thought most devastaing at the end of the review.

So first off, I have to praise the fast pace of this novel as well as the great plot line. It was super exciting, totally realistic and just down right fun. I am really impressed with Frost's world building as well. Sometimes in a series first novel, the world building can detract from the story but that's not the case at all in Halfway to the Grave. The world building, plot and character development were spot on.

Now, on to the characters. Cat was awesome. This is a real kick ass heroine and I adore her. She has (figuratively speaking of course) balls of steel. She's like Xena, Warrior Princess. No one stands in her way, even Bones when she's set her mind to something. I loved seeing her take down the lewd, sadistic bad guys--humans and vampires alike.

Bones. I'm almost at a loss for words. I love Bones. He's hysterically funny with his quippy sense of humour, sharp tongued to the point of hilarity and so caustic that its devastating because its so easy to see underneath that layer (unless you're Cat). Bones is so much more than a Master vampire set out to hunt evil doers. So much more than a deliciously hilarious undead drop dead gorgeous vampire. He's also just a good guy, a man determined to have the woman he loves.

And wow, do these two set the book on fire with their romance. I really felt for Cat that she was so down on herself becaues of the manner of her birth, and how it had been ingrained in her that she was somehow partly evil because of her vampire blood. And I loved that Bones was patient enough to wear away at her prejudices so that she could see for herself that not all vampires are evil. I just totally loved how much he loved her, and how madly and deeply she fell in love with him. And I have to say, the bedroom scenes were exactly what you'd expect from this couple: hot and yet really tender too. There is something really raw about this couple that makes you want them to find happiness together.

I'm so psyched for the next novel because Bones is going to find Cat. He promised her that. And it's super exciting and somehow chilling to know that she knows he is going to come after her. These two definately suit each other--equally stubborn, brave and unselfish when it comes to how much they love each other.

Quotes that devastated me

"I held you and kissed you, watched your eyes light up with desire, and knew for once you were truly seeing me for all I was. Not just a non-beating heart with a shell around it. I dare you to look at me that way again..."

"I can't just let us go our separate ways, Kitten, because I am in love with you. I love you."

"I'm saying I'm a moody, insercure, narrowminded, jealous, borderline-homicidal bitch, and I want you to promise me that you're okay with that, because it's who I am and you're what I need."

"Not for a minute did I believe that this wasn't goodbye. Still, I had loved and been loved in return, and there was nothing greater than that...Bones thought five months was too short; I was amazed I'd been granted joy for so long."

5 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

4 comments:

Karolina said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. This is by far one of my favorite series. The second book I read in one day, I was so excited and just had to find out if and when he finds her, and what happens next, oh it's the best. Don't wait too long ;)

Jewels E said...

I know, curiosity might kill me LOL

Kara said...

So glad you liked it. I did too! And trust me, the series gets better. So do the spin-offs. I'll be looking for your next reviews to see what you think! :)

Jewels E said...

It gets better??? I already think its amazing lol Awesome, I cannot wait to continue this series.