Review Lover At Last by J.R Ward

by 7/20/2013 0 comments
Hardcover591 pages
Published March 26th 2013 
by NAL Hardcover



Qhuinn, son of no one, is used to being on his own. Disavowed from his bloodline, shunned by the aristocracy, he has finally found an identity as one of the most brutal fighters in the war against the Lessening Society. But his life is not complete. Even as the prospect of having a family of his own seems to be within reach, he is empty on the inside, his heart given to another....

Blay, after years of unrequited love, has moved on from his feelings for Qhuinn. And it’s about time: The male has found his perfect match in a Chosen female, and they are going to have a young—just as Qhuinn has always wanted for himself. It’s hard to see the new couple together, but building your life around a pipe dream is just a heartbreak waiting to happen. As he’s learned firsthand.

Fate seems to have taken these vampire soldiers in different directions... but as the battle over the race’s throne intensifies, and new players on the scene in Caldwell create mortal danger for the Brotherhood, Qhuinn finally learns the true definition of courage, and two hearts who are meant to be together... finally become one.



♥My Thoughts♥

Note: Light spoilers, so read at your own peril.

Well, well, well what do you know, Ward has some magic left in her yet. Since I picked up the first book of this series, I've been hooked, in love, bewitched even by the romance and plot lines of each of the Brothers. Sure, a couple books fell short for me, but I always left the book with a huge grin on my face because a Brother had found his true love. What wasn't to love exactly? And then came Lover Reborn. I've stewed and brooded about that book for a bloody year, and I still cannot reconcile with it. Like every BDB book, it made me cry. But for all the wrong reasons. I felt like I had suddenly been Sorted into Slyterin House because I just didn't believe in it. But who the hell cares, because after Lover at Last, I'm back in Gryffindor!!

I'm not as magicked by the Warden as I once was. The spell was too badly book for me, but I have to say, I will definitely be continuing this series. Did Qhuinn and Blay get the story I wanted? No. I wanted sweetness. I wanted lots of pillow talk, raw character development and less of everyone's story thank you very much. But I went into the book fully knowing I was going to have to read about four other side story lines alongside my boys. So I went in prepared. But I also went in blind because I've actually managed to stay completely spoiler free, so I had no idea what had gone down in this book until I picked it up. So, they didn't get the story I wanted for them. But they got a story that I think was perfect for them in a lot of ways. 

Qhuinn had a lot of growing up in to do. He'd been in denial about so much for so long thanks to his seriously screwed up parents and family life, that he simply could not let go of all of the hurt and insecurities they had wrought in him. For a big loud mouthed, tough guy, which Qhuinn has always been, there was a lot of hurt and confusion in the guy that I had previously not seen. At least not to the degree I got in this book. And Qhuinn manned up, I really thought he did. He reaches out to Blay repeatedly in this book, and I think as much as Blay curses the fact that he can't help but want Qhuinn, that the reason he is with Qhuinn all those times is because he recognizes that Qhuinn is reaching out to him. Why doesn't he tell Qhuinn that he and Saxton have broken up? Because as much as Qhuinn was reaching out to him Blay was also afraid that Qhuinn would pull away. Replace that barrier between them, and just not let him in. That's been Qhuinn MO for like, ever. The argument these two had the end threw me for a loop, but then I got a big slap in the face at the bar was Qhuinn was mulling over what Blay had said and realized that I knew something about Qhuinn that he didn't know about himself. Blay knew too, and once Qhuinn spoke out about it, well, the rest, as they say is history. Everything just clicked for them then, and it was arguably one of the most romantic and touching BDB "I love you" scenes I've read to date. I cried. 

Underneath their love story was a story about acceptance that really touched me. A story about family that hurt because family shouldn't do that one another, and also a story about family that reminds us that those relationships matter and can be built in the most unexpected places. I liked the way Ward dealt with Saxton and Layla as well--Saxton stepped aside because his heart was on the line and he couldn't take it anymore, no hard feelings, no angst. Layla and the baby story line were dealt with beautifully too I thought, especially the way in which Blay got involved. And I'll never ever forget Qhuinn telling Blay, "I have been in love with you for years and years and years..." or Blay saying, "I was, and I remain, utterly and completely and totally...in love with you." Not much has topped that for me in romance-landia for me.

5 glittering stars 

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: