Review: Branded as Trouble by Lorelei James

by 7/17/2013 0 comments
Paperback246 pages
Published January 5th 2010 
by Samhain (first published March 2009)

As a walking advertisement for the tattoo shop she's set up in a small Wyoming town, India Ellison is well acquainted with preconceived notions. Despite the odd looks and off-color comments about her off-color hair, life is good. She's clean and sober, dotes on her sister's kids and, best of all, spends most of her free time with her best buddy, cowboy Colt McKay.

Reformed bad boy Colt never expected three years of sobriety to lead to three years of abstinence. Curbing his craving for booze and random sexual encounters is nothing compared to the ever-increasing craving for his hot-tempered, hot-bodied best friend, India. Too bad she's his A.A. sponsor. Too bad she hasn't a clue that Colt's been head-over-bootheels in love with her from day one.

After an unexpected, steamy interlude, all India can think about is riding the sexy cowboy instead of her motorcycle, even when Colt is determined to show her a slower ride is worth the wait.

Or are they risking their friendship for a fling that could burn them both?



♥My Thoughts♥

I love the Rough Riders series. This is no secret. Since I picked up the first of the series, Long Hard Ride I've been addicted. And I've been pacing them out. Well, some of the time anyway. Anyway, this novel is about bad boy Colt McKay, and I have to say, I adored this McKay bad boy too. Why are they all bad? Cuz they're McKays.  

Colt: Literally, the bad McKay boy. Colt's a recovery alcoholic and because of his addiction, he's done some things that really alienated his family. But Colt's been clean and sober for three years and yet, not a single one of his family members besides his cousins and younger siblings has any respect for him. Or really knows him or wants to.  I have to say, the way his older brothers treated him really upset me. But I was glad he had India throughout the novel. It was wonderful seeing him receiving trust and love from her, and it was great to see a McKay romance a woman for a change. I liked that they dated instead of just falling into bed together. And even though Colt has a spectacular temper, I love his loyalty and stubborn nature. And he sure knew how to sizzle up the pages with India--romantically and otherwise. 

India: I didn't expect to like her. I thought she'd be hard and flippant, but India had a sweetness about her that made her perfect for Colt because he's got a softer side to him too. And her temper certainly rivaled his which I thought was just hysterical. I didn't expect her to have insecurities about dating and love and men, but I liked that she did, because really, all women do. I loved that she stood up to his mother, and that she was honest enough with herself to admit that she loved him and accept his love in return. She saw Colt for who he was, not who he had been and that was what Colt needed. It was also great to see two best friends fall in love with one another.

I really enjoyed this read. It was hot, honest, romantic, sweet by turns and reminded us that the person we used to be isn't the person we are--Colt's family learned that lesson. I think what I liked the most about this book is how it made you think about family. How family defines us far more than we think, and yet how they can also not even see the person we really are. In the end, Colt's family realized how wrong they were about who they thought Colt was, and I was glad they mended fences because that's what families ought to do--mend fences when wrongs are made.

5 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: