Review: Lucky Stars by Kristen Ashley

by 8/01/2013 0 comments
ebook
Published June 21st 2012 
by SMASHWORDS - EBKS

Belle Abbott is pathologically shy and because of this, she’s living a nightmare due to the fact that she’s also a national treasure hounded by the media. James Bennett is known the world over as the perfect catch, handsome, wealthy and the owner of an intimidating castle on a Cornish Cliff, Chy An Als Point. 

Belle and James meet and in one night, they fall in love. The problem is, Belle’s dating James’s brother.

As quickly as they fall together, Belle and James are torn apart. Not long after, circumstances throw them back into each other’s lives and they find they were right that first romantic night, they were meant to be. 

Even if their families want them together, James’s brother Miles does not. Dogged by a rabid media who are fascinated by their love triangle, as well as Belle’s hidden demons, James and Belle find they have yet another problem to solve. The Point is haunted by the ghosts of two children murdered in the castle. Their murderer will stop at nothing to keep their souls tethered to The Point instead of letting them live eternity with their mother and father. 

Belle is determined to find her courage and help them and she enlists her loopy mother, loopier grandmother, James’s even loopier ex-girlfriend and the dubious (but talented) team of rock ‘n' roll witch Cassandra McNabb and Scottish ghost-hunter-extraordinaire Angus McPherson to help the children find their way back home.



♥My Thoughts♥

Wow. Just wow. I've never read anything quite like this. Kristen Ashley has a big fan base, and this is the second book I've read by her. The first impressed me. This one just blew me away. To note, it's the fifth in a series, but can be totally be read on a stand alone. The characters, style, setting, plot--everything was unique and refreshing and I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of this series. 

Jack: OMG I loved him. I loved how sweetly alpha he was. He was uber protective of Belle, commanding, but oh so devoted and gone on her. When I grow up, I want to marry Jack. Belle called him criminally handsome. I think his character is criminally sexy. The way he calls her poppet? Sexy. It shouldn't be because poppet isn't the sexiest thing a man could call his girl, but damn, it sure was. I've never read a hero quite like Jack, but he was perfect in every way. I loved the way he stands by Belle through everything--the good, the bad, the insanity, the doubts, the insecurities. He was just steady and true and Belle loved it. I loved it. Ms. Ashley wrote his character with beautifully consistency. Jack never wavers, he never abandons Belle and I just really thought he was the most perfect fit for Belle. 

Belle: What a shy, meek and mild character. But what a wonderfully gentle, thoughtful and sweet character. And despite the fact that Belle was quiet, a dreamer, she had her strength. Her past demonstrated it, and her actions did as well. It takes a strong and understanding person to be with someone as bossy as Jack, and Belle manages it with dignity and grace. She never gets mad or tells him off. She gets his intentions are to keep her safe from anything and everything--from something as mundane as being embarrassed by her family to the evil spirits in the castle. I found her absolutely adorable and even though she's not traditionally independent female character, I could totally relate to her. And I laughed with Jack when she declared she wasn't going to be Belle "Meek and Mild" Abbott anymore. Totally cute, and just so Belle.

I loved this book. The story of Jack and Belle's romance, of the wee ghosties in this novel that they are trying to free, was just plain good story telling. I loved the supporting characters, and am curious about Lachlan in particular--I'm hoping he'll get his own book truth be told. This book is teeming with vibrancy from page one to the very last word. It's going on my favourites shelf. 

5 glittering stars



Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: