Review: Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

by 9/24/2013 0 comments
Mass Market Paperback339 pages
Published March 3rd 2009 
by Berkley Sensation (first published January 1st 2009)

Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best- but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention, Elena knows failure is not an option—even if the task is impossible. 

Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad. 

The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other—and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt does not destroy her, succumbing to Raphael’s seductive touch just might. For when archangels play, mortals break.




My Thoughts

Yeah, I know I'm way behind in this series, but I finally got my hands on the first book and just adored it. Can I say Nalini Singh is a gifted writer? I mean, she has a way with words. They are woven artfully, brushed into the text so as to bring alive the most poignant images, the deepest feeling. Her novel was a delight to read. 

Elena: This woman is strong. Not just kick ass, but strong. Her character, her independence, her spirit are just that of a fighter, of a survivor and I really admired her strength. I've seen lots of determined, fiery heroines , some wonderfully independent ones but Elena was something else. It's like she was crafted in fire, forged into iron. I really liked her, even when sometimes I questioned her sanity. Pissing off an archangel was not smart, and Elena knew that, but she wouldn't, couldn't back down. It was crazy of her and she knew it, but she threw herself head long into madness that way, into a danger she knew could mean her death. Lucky for her Raphael was...a little mortal.

Raphael: He's an enigma  and one I'm dying to read more about. The novel sets him up as this powerful archangel who is ancient, and powerful. Who is nearly amoral. He is literally, awesome, as in, there is this aura of awe about him. We know him, but we know nothing about him. I liked how there was a little bit of human in him, how he wouldn't give that up to save even himself and how that saved Elena in the end--in the most unexpected way. Even a being as powerful and ancient as him wasn't expecting that, and I'm amazed that I can still be surprised by plot twists in romance. I can't spoil it, but stroke of brilliance! 

The novel reads like romance, but seems to be more urban fantasy. Perhaps it's the perfect blend of the two. I don't care what it is, it's sheer reading heaven, and I loved it beginning to end. I cannot wait to continue this series. 

5 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: