Review: Raphael by D.B Reynolds

by 10/14/2013 0 comments
Paperback248 pages
Published April 1st 2009 
by Imajinn Books

Malibu, California-home to rock-and-roll gods and movie stars, the beautiful, the rich . . . and vampires.

Powerful and charismatic, Raphael is a Vampire Lord, one of the few who hold the power of life and death over every vampire in existence. Thousands call him Master and have pledged absolute loyalty on their very lives. But when, in a brazen and deadly daylight attack, a gang of human killers kidnaps the one female vampire he'd give his life for, Raphael turns to a human investigator to find his enemies before it's too late.

Cynthia Leighton is smart, tough and sexy, a private investigator and former cop who's tired of spying on cheating spouses and digging out old bank accounts. When Raphael asks for her help in tracking down the kidnappers, Cyn's happy to accept. But she soon realizes her greatest danger comes not from the humans, but from Raphael himself.

Battling Russian mobsters and treacherous vampires, and betrayed by those they trusted, Cyn and Raphael find themselves fighting for their lives while caught up in a passion of blood and violence that is destined to destroy them both.


My Thoughts

This has been on my to be read list for quite a while, and I decided to give it up and read about sexy vampires. First off, let me say, this was not exactly what I expecting. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes it's not a good thing. In this case, it's an okkaay, that was different thing.

Raphael: Ancient, dangerous, mysterious? He's got that angle covered. I felt as though I didn't get to know much of Raphael. I definitely wanted more him. There was a edge to him that was difficult to grasp, not gritty edgy, not violent edgy, but a contained sort of power that made you pause. I liked it, but I wanted to see more of it, learn more about him. I liked how understated he was in some ways--like the way he intrigued by Cynthia, or the way his mere presence evoked fear and awe. He ruled with an iron fist but he wore kid gloves if you follow my drift. So naturally, he had my attention. I look forward to reading more of him and Cyn in the next book. 

Cynthia: Kick ass and vulnerable. I love that combination in PNR, though from time to time I also raise my eyebrow and bemoan this kind of heroine  They love, but they mistrust. They love, but they run. They love but. But. But. But. Her strength, and screw you attitude are quite admirable I must say, when things get dicey and she ought back off, she dives in. I've always admired that. And I was kinda amused that she was jealous of Alexandra. She knows Raphael extremely dangerous, that she ought stay away but she knows he`s captured her heart, a heart she never lets anyone into because no one has ever cared enough before. 

I enjoyed this novel, but wanted more of Cynthia and Raphael. Be warned dear readers, this book ends on a to be continued. Those usually sit badly with me, but in this case, the author ends things in a state of transition, so I didn`t feel like I was left hanging in a middle of a story. Therefore, I`m okay with to be continued! First time for everything. Overall, this was an elegant read, beautifully written with a great world being built and characters that just draw you in like a moth to a flame.

4 glittering stars

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: