Review: Caine's Reckoning by Sara McCarty

by 11/16/2013 0 comments
Trade Paperback474 pages
Published November 1st 2007 
by Spice (first published October 31st 2007)

The Hell's Eight is the only family he's ever needed, until he meets the only woman he's ever wanted... 

Caine Allen is a hardened Texas Ranger, definitely not the marrying kind. But when he rescues a kidnapped woman and returns her to town, the preacher calls in a favor. One Caine's honor won't let him refuse. From the moment he beds Desi, Caine knows turmoil will follow. Desi might have the face of a temptress, but she also has a will of iron and while she needs his protection, she's determined that no man will control her again. They establish an uneasy bond, but it isn't enough for Caine. He wants all Desi has to offer. He wants her screams, her moans, her demands...everything. Yet there's still a bounty on Desi's head, and keeping her sexually satisfied is proving easier than keeping her alive.


My Thoughts 

Well, I've fallen in love with wild west romances. It's total guilty pleasure reading and I need that right now. But I have to say, I do love the setting, the hark back to times of yore--it feeds the lover of history in me. 

Caine: The main is stoic  And yet, oh so loving. I could giggle at him but he'd just stare at me impassively. I really liked that this hero was smart--he wasn't ever fooled by anyone, lest of all Desi who was always trying to get away from him. He saw through her shields and made her trust him--perhaps with too much rawness, but I forgive him for it because he really was trying to help her, to get her to see that she was at long last, safe. I have to admire him marrying her largely to keep her safe--before he really knew much of anything about her. He simply trusted that she wasn't the person everyone was making her out to be, that she needed help and love and that she was pure--of soul. Everything else was insubstantial to him, though of of course it probably helped that he found her damned attractive. 

Desi: It's been a while since I've encountered a heroine this broken down. The things that she endured were horrible and enough to drive one mad, but Desi holds it together through a sheer force of stubborn will. And yet, there is a part of her that is crushed--her ability to trust. She can't trust men. She fears once she does something to displease Caine, or once he grows bored of her that he'll turn angry or simply leave her. And even though she's afraid of men as a general rule and trusts Caine instinctively, she can't seem to get past that rational (if you can it rational) fact in her mind. There were times I thought she never would. But Desi is strong, and she does manage eventually to see that Caine loves her and won't turn on her no matter what happens down the road. 

A sexy, sizzling read with a compact plot and one I had a hard time putting down. I really liked this book. There was a little something in the bedroom antics I wasn't sure of, but I still thought the characters and everything that happened made sense for who they were, and where they were. 

4 glittering stars 

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: