Review: When Summer Comes by Brenda Novak

by 1/31/2015 0 comments
I enjoyed this book even though Callie wasn't a character I had been really curious about in the first two Whiskey Creek novels. Her storyline wasn't as sad as I expected, but it was certianly touching in spots.


Series: Whiskey Creek, #3
My Rating: 
Genre: Contemporary Romance


Callie knows she won't survive the summer. So she's starting to wrap up her life in some ways--take more artistic photos, sending time at the farm she's always loved. And her impending death allows her to be far more generous than she might otherwise have been. She now sees life as something to live to the fullest and she decides to help a total stranger because it seems not only like the right thing to do, but a way to ease the life of another. I admired her for that.

Levi has some skeletons in his closet, and although he's afraid to get too close to Callie, he can't help but want her. I really do wish the author had expanded on Levi's past and experiences in Afghanistan, I think it would have helped me connect with Levi more deeply, but he was a likable enough character.
You know what I didn't like? Callie's interfering friends. I had the same issue with this group of friends in Cheyenne's book. It's like they simply can't keep their noses out of their friends lives, and opinions to themselves. I was really annoyed when they staged an intervention to get Callie to talk about whatever was bothering her. I think friends ought honour each other's privacy and this group doesn't do that, nor do they voice their concerns appropriately. That's my pet peeve so far with this series anyway.

Overall, this was a well written story with a few steamier scenes and a happily ever after that was sweet and miraculous. 


Happy Reading
Jewels

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: