Review: The Witches of Echo Park by Amber Benson

by 11/02/2015 0 comments
So, this month I have been reading a lot of books about witches. I started with The Witches of Echo Park, which I picked up over the summer, and I was excited to start this book. It was pretty good, but I'm going to be honest and say that I didn't really enjoy the novel. I don't know why exactly, it's well written with engaging characters and is actually quite promising. But still about it sat ill with me. It felt...odd. Not odd as in outside my comfort zone, but just a little too quirky maybe, a little too sinister. That was the feeling I got anyway, an odd sense of the sinister meshed into an otherwise quirky-ish outer worldly tale.

Series: The Witches of Echo Park, #1
My Rating:
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Lyse is one of many of the coven of witches at Echo Park. She returns home when she realizes that her aunt is dying, and is inducted into the coven. Lyse doesn't really believe in the coven or anything the other blood sisters are telling her, but she's willing to go along to appease her aunt Elenora.

Elenora's story is a dark one. It's actually disturbing, and what makes it more disturbing is that her past suddenly asserts itself into the present and is suddenly very dangerous. Her dark past, and the people from it, are all apart (I believe) of The Flood.

What is The Flood? I don't know, but it's coming. That's all that we really get from this novel. Something huge and awful akin to the Salem witch hunts is coming and the coven members need to be ready. I think this is one of the things that bothered me about this book. Nothing much happens. Houses are broken into, people are attacked, killed, and yet, I can't say why other than it's connected to The Flood. Everything about it is a little too vague, and though I'm sure more will be revealed in later books, I'm left with this odd disconnected feeling from the story. The first half of the book dragged anyway, introducing one blood sister after another, and the second half picked up in pace, but didn't really give us much in the way of plot. As a reader, I need a little more.

As I said, this series seems very promising. It has great potential for story and character development, and I will admit to being curious about many of the characters I think  the books might become quite spooky, so if you like books that are a little unusual from the average urban fantasy novel, you might want to try this one.

Happy Reading,
Jewels

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: