Review: A Long Time Gone by Karen White

by 7/23/2016 0 comments
I came across this book quite by accident, but oh my goodness it was soo good! What a story and I loved the way this book was narrated by three different narrators. It gave the book such an authentic feel and really, I think the writing was just so good that everything together just made this a wonderful story.

My Rating: ❀'s
Genre: Contemporary Literature 

I wish I had the words to explain exactly how wonderful this novel is, but I think it's one of those things you have to read for yourself to understand. The story opens with Viven, who is returning home after being away for many years. I don't think she had any intention of ever returning, but she has no where else to go and I think fate drew her back home. When a body is unearthed by her house, underneath a tree that's been standing on the property for decades, Viven needs to discover who the woman was. And doing so sends her along a path of discovery and healing that she so needed. I loved this character. I loved this story.

Viven is not the only storyteller in this novel however, and through the diary of her mother, Caroline, we come to understand some things about Viven as well. And Viven comes to understand herself and mother better, I felt sorry for Caroline, she lived in such turbulent times. But I admired her strength too, even as her choices cut and sliced her children wide open. I was glad that in the end, she taught Viven something powerful and beautiful.

The other storyteller was Adelaide, who I loved for her gentleness. And whose life was so vital to this story, and to helping Viven heal, and come to a new understanding about herself and what she wanted in life. The stories of these women don't exactly intertwine, they are separate and different, but they are related since all of these women come from the same family. I loved the way the story was told, and all of the narrators did an amazing job bringing the women and the people in their lives, to life. I was moved to tears at some points, because this beautifully written novel was brought to life so poignantly by the narrators.

A wonderful story, and one I'm so glad I came across, quite by accident. I'll not soon be forgetting this novel.

Happy Listening,
Jewels

Jewels E

Author

I'm a thirty something girl who loves to read, write and dream. Because I'm so addicted to the written word in all its forms, I created this blog to share the books that devastate me with you.

0 comments: